Paris slashed its buildings energy bill and more.
- Paris pledged to reduce its public housings' energy consumption by 60% by 2030. After a decade of efforts, including changing the insulation and renovating the heating systems and electrical wiring, some of the largest buildings already witnessed a 47% drop in their energy bill.
- The UN declared access to a clean environment a human right. This resolution is not legally binding yet but has the potential to shape global standards and can help lawyers build arguments in cases involving the environment and human rights.
- Google will ban YouTube videos and other content denying climate change and prohibit ads promoting these claims. This move echoes a 2020 report accusing YouTube of “incentivizing climate misinformation via its monetization program.”
- According to a joint report by the Academy of Medical Sciences and the Royal Society, improving insulation in homes would help prevent 50,000 premature deaths in the UK alone every year.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) presented proof that sustainable fishing policies work. Indeed, these policies have helped rebuild 43 fish stocks since 2000. As a result, 84% of reserves are no longer overfished today.